Thursday, July 1, 2010

Learning Pods and Classroom Setup

Setting up small groups or communities in your class requires planning, not only in your classroom, but also in the physical space of your room.

When I decided to change lecture format my teaching style from teacher-centered format to a student-centered, project I had to think seriously about how my room and its educational materials were ordered.

I knew I wanted a student "pods" of four fifty-six students. Four makes a big size Group, but five starts to slide. These sizes fit well with the number of computers I had available. Each pod requires a computer to use for the group, and work area, reached by writing together form a table.
I put the pods on the outer walls a couple of important reasons. First was to get some elbow room between students and groups. I wanted to eliminate interaction between groups so that students could focus their own group> Activities. Second, this arrangement allows me to monitor the computer at any time. Third, this setup better traffic flow through the room, as students would often need to back and forth to move the focus point.

I have the resources and presentation center is set in the middle of the classroom. This is where I keep student supplies file cabinets (short-types), dictionaries & thesauri, school supplies and art-type. I have this combinationStorage area with my podium, overhead projector and other tech devices like VCRs or DVD players, digital projectors and the like. This allows students easy access to all resources, and I can effectively use all of my wall space if I need to present material.

The "traditional" classroom and the "student-centered" classrooms are very different both in philosophy and in the application. The foundations of the institution to reflect the learning environment of your classroomYou must be presented carefully before jumping right to be thought of in the pods.

Having previously taught in the traditional way, I have centered the setup pod, or a student class that was both a challenge and learn a benefit to the students are. Now I've had a chance to compare them to my students and I prefer the pods.

-------------



Tags : play-piano christianbooks cheap nintendo ds

No comments:

Post a Comment